Tuesday 1 May 2018

Life Drawing semester 2


We got to experiment with an ink and brush technique in this class.
I found it really difficult because I was afraid to make mistakes as I wasn't able to draw the basic shapes beforehand. I would love to experiment more with this method with a bit more practice as I love the finish of the drawing,  





Due to having a break between semester 1 and 2 we spent the rest of the class doing various poses to get us back into the swing of things again.








I wasn't able to attend the second class due to feeling unwell but I was informed about the homework - which was ahead rotation of the character that you had previously designed in semester 1. 



Mikes critics were to make the hair one set design, keep the nose level and some reflection to the eye.






I wish I had tried to use the traditional animating paper in order to make my rotation more fluid. I am happier with how it turned out the second time but if I had spent more timing doing more frames it would be better.




In the next class, Mike told us to look for the center gravity line in order to portray weight in your drawing. For homework, we were then asked to do five poses showcasing the line of weight balance in your pose.









Note that the center gravity line will always be a straight line.



In the following class, we attempted walk cycles which were a bonus because we had been given a task by Alec to do 4 short animations using a walker rig pprovided so this class was very beneficial for me in the understanding of the positions when walking. So your drawing doesn't look robotic you have to include a slight hip rotation each time a foot hits the ground and make sure there is a high and low position of the head when moving forward. 


Warm up poses before the walk cycles. 





First attempt at a walk cycle.




I am pleased with how my last walk cycle turned out as I was trying my best to ensure that shoulders and hips rotated as the model passed by me to that it wasn't one static side view the whole way through. 

Our final class was spent at Belfast zoo doing life sketches of the animals.

The zoo animal assignment is the post after this :) 


Overall, I feel I have progressed in the right direction in comparison to my work at the start of my first year. I always found life drawing class very daunting in the beginning but I learned to be loose when drawing and study the model before you commit to putting a line on your page - imagine beforehand what it should look like and then draw it. Mapping out your drawing with structure lines and the basic shapes first has really made me aware of what I am about to draw and make drawing a lot easier when you have a rough visual in front of you. I have really enjoyed life drawing this year it has truly taught me a lot and has even contributed to my work across my other modules.   


































No comments:

Post a Comment